Musculoskeletal Physiotherapy with Anna Evans and James Winterborn at Salveo Physiotherapy
Musculoskeletal physiotherapy is a specialist evidence-based treatment for patients who are exhibiting symptoms such as pain or stiffness caused by a disorder or injury of the musculoskeletal system (that is, bones, joints, muscles, ligaments, tendons, cartilage).
These disorders can develop either suddenly or gradually over time, they can be due to repetitive or overloading issues or through sports injures.
This means that we treat acute injuries like low back pain (including disc problems), whiplash, ligament sprains, muscle strains, trauma and nerve pain, as well as chronic problems like joint disorders (arthritis), previous injuries, tendinopathy/tendinitis and degenerative problems.
Musculoskeletal physiotherapy aims to help you recover from your condition and return to normal function quickly. This can help to prevent and limit secondary issues from developing. It also aims to limit recurrences in the future.
Generally, the earlier treatment commences, the faster the return to health, work or sport. Long-standing problems can also respond well to an accurate diagnosis and a comprehensive treatment plan.
How can Musculoskeletal Physiotherapy Help You?
Musculoskeletal physiotherapy contributes to your recovery in a number of ways.
- Relieves pain
- Improves range of motion, ease and quality of movement
- Decrease swelling and inflammation
- Improves muscle strength and flexibility
- Improves coordination and control of movement
- Helps you to achieve physical exercise or fitness goals
- Promotes optimum technique in sport and exercise
- Teaches healthy ways of moving to reduce the likelihood of developing musculoskeletal disorders in the future
- Provides you with a home physiotherapy programme to help you to continue your recovery at home or at the gym.
- They can also formulate a maintenance programme once you have recovered to make sure you continue to benefit from your physiotherapy
- Speed your recovery and allow you to return to normal activities as early as possible
- Improve your day to day level of independence and self-sufficiency
What to Expect at your First Appointment
Initial assessment appointments take about 45 minutes, depending on how complex your problem and medical history is. You may need to undress to allow the physio to see the affected body part so you may want to bring a pair of shorts to change into if you have a lower back or leg problem (this is not essential).
In the first session your physio will discuss your problem with you, take a detailed medical history and use a series of tests and assessments in order to give you a diagnosis. Once a diagnosis has been reached, an individualised treatment plan will be provided and discussed.
If musculoskeletal physiotherapy is recommended for you, don't be afraid to ask questions of your physiotherapist and make sure you understand what treatment is recommended and that your expectations are realistic.
If further tests are required, such as scans, x-rays or a consultant opinion then this will be explained and discussed to you. Treatment is normally started in the initial appointment if it is appropriate, allowing you to start your recovery immediately.
Don’t continue to suffer in silence, there is always something that can be done to help you at Salveo Physiotherapy
Book your appointment by clicking the link below
Mobile 07825433562 landline 01656 651545