Two-thirds of our body is made up of water and making sure you are hydrated is probably one of the cheapest and easiest things you can do to improve you health. Here are my top 10 reasons for drinking loads of lovely H2O… bottled, tapped, fizzy, filtered…. just drink it!
1. Drinking water may help you loose weight! We often confuse hunger for thirst, plus drinking water helps to speed up your metabolism
2. Water gives you energy. Our muscles need water to work effectively so it’s good to be hydrated before, during and after exercises
3. Intervertebral discs are made up of 88% water. If you are dehydrated then your discs become thinner and are less able to absorb shock. When we are hydrated our discs can plump up and do their job properly. One of the ways discs hydrate is at night so make sure you don’t go to be thirsty!
4. Water is great for your skin - water helps to flush out toxins and keep your skin clear and bright… and possibly less wrinkly!
5. Water helps you concentrate - when we are dehydrated we become fatigued and can loose concentration, water literally keeps you refreshed and alert.
6. Kidney function - water is essential to help our kidneys do their job, sifting out waste and transporting urine to the bladder.
7. Hangover Cure! - a big part of having a hangover is actually being dehydrated, reach for that big class of water first thing in the morning and keep topping up throughout the day.
8. Improved digestion - water literally helps to keep things flowing by adding fluid to the colon!
9. Fluid balance - Drinking enough H2O maintains the body’s fluid balance, which helps transport nutrients in the body, regulate body temperature, digest food, and more.
10. Zero calories! Water does so much for your health and has no calories in it whatsoever. Try just this one simple food swap… replace a fizzy or sugary drink with water and hey presto you’ve banked a pile of calories